- How strong are we? (Top 5, 10, 25, 100? Are we a local power? A continental power? A global power?)
- What are our strengths? (Mention especially our strategic resources: food, water, energy and human resources)
- What are our weaknesses?
- How strong can we be? (What must change to be stronger? E.g. to a geopolitical realist Canada might need more population, where India might need less)
- Which states can help us with our weaknesses? (Therefore which sea routes are important to us?)
- Which states are our most substantial threats? Which is the most dangerous to us? List and rank three. Remember to consider the geographical distances and geographical obstacles: for example a large ocean or mountain range will in practical terms reduce the threat of a state to your state compared to having a land border on a plain. Remember that
- Which states can be our most reliable friends? List and rank three. (Primarily based on similar enemies, or based on those states needing us for something)
- You will be required to provide a Realist Top Five –point Geopolitical Strategy; Number One being the most important. Justify your order of points and explain each of them(500-1500 words)
**Remember to think as a geopolitical realist–this is the point of the exercise. Do not include Liberal concerns about the type of government or export growth or W.S.T. concerns about inequality. This is the world of unforgiving “self-help”, and “my state first”.
Country Chosen – United States(US)
The US of North America is the most dominating military and economic power in the world. The overall ranking of the US is ranked 6. The power ranking of the US is #1. That is the US is among the top 10. The US is a global power.
The main strengths of the US are:
- The country has a powerful global reach
- It can efficiently make allies with other countries as well as in global affairs
- The country has the world’s largest economy
- World’s most dominant military power and economy
- Global ranking of US for food resources is #11
- Global ranking for water resources of US is #3
- The US produces 28% petroleum, 17.8% coal, 12.7% renewable energy, and 9.6% nuclear electric power
- Natural gas is the largest source with about 40%
- Coal is the third-largest energy source with 19% of U.S. electricity
The weaknesses of the US include:
- Chronic trade deficit makes import complexities
- Rising energy prices makes it difficult for regular expenses of the country population
- The aging population adds a burden on public health as well as pension programs
- Stagnation of household incomes
The US can become more powerful if the weaknesses of the US are overcome. The geophysical analyst determines that internal transportation is a geographical advantage of the US. The GDP per capita of the US is ranked #13 and needs to be improved by overcoming the weaknesses of government programs related to income inequality and income security.
The following sea routes are important to the US for international trade:
- South Atlantic Oceanic Route joins North America with South America and Europe
- North Atlantic Oceanic Route joins western Europe with North America
- North Pacific Oceanic Route joins North America with East Asia with trade from China, Korea, Japan, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Hong Kong
- South Pacific Oceanic Route connects Australia, New Zealand, North America, and Western Europe
China is the biggest enemy of the US. The Great Wall of China is the biggest barrier between the US and China. Iran, Iraq, and North Korea are added to the list as well. The oceans and mountains are the biggest geographical barriers of Iran and Iraq with the US.
Israel, Japan, and Canada are the biggest friends that make reliable allies with the US. Israel is the number one friend of the US, followed by Japan and Canada. The Israel and Us relationship includes military aid, economic prosperity, democratic relationship, and regional security. Japan and Canada share military and trade relationships with the US.
Realist Top Five-point Geopolitical Strategy of US includes:
- The US can include several strategies for being an inevitable empire in the world with global powers. The country needs to improve its strategies to compete with China as China is empowering and transforming its economy. The competition is of influence of wealth and power of the two countries for gaining full spectrum great power with the strategic competition. This is because China is to surpass the economic superpower rank of the US and can reclaim the global power role in the coming years. Retaining the superpower spot by the US is necessary with effective strategies to combat the challenges from China and compete with the country. The political stability, defense budget, economic influence, global alliances, soft power, US weapons, and the military strategy of the US is the most effective and needs to be retained. The US introduced strategies of dominating the Greater Mississippi Basin to become the inevitable empire.
- China as well as the US has the most powerful military in the global ranking and the US needs to compete with China with strategic geopolitical methods for gaining the superpower ranking of the military. China will be presenting its strongest geopolitical strategies for gaining the ranking of strongest armed forces. Therefore, the US has to include strategies from the government that can compete with China for geopolitical strategies. The US has to retain their position of undisputed global military power by both technological and numerical factors.
- The US Trade unions have to lack unity with limited memberships and the limited size of the trade unions. The absence of union structure with issues created by them must be managed. Issues in trade unions create income inequality and are causing issues regarding the income and GDP in the US. The training and education of the US union workers must be introduced along with freeing them from political parties control must be done by the US. The overall ranking of the US is #6 at the global level due to challenges faced by Covid-19 and the economic recession. Strategies to improve the adventure section, agility, cultural influence, entrepreneurship, heritage, open for business, social purpose, and quality of life must be taken by the US government by effective policies to gain the number 1 ranking in all fields at the global level.
- The aging population of the US makes the stability of fiscal and macro-economy a challenge. Therefore, policies regarding the aging population and income security have been developed and implemented in order to maintain the income inequality and the healthcare of the aging population as well. In addition, effective economic populations have been introduced as well with raising the age of retirement, increasing income tax for paying pension costs, encouraging private pensions, and more.
- Japan is the most advanced country in terms of technology and innovation as well. In the financial year 2021, Japan topped the list followed by South Korea, China, and the US is second, third, and 4rth respectively. The Us needs to develop geopolitical strategies in order to gain the first ranking technological expertise and needs to beat china, south Korea as well as Japan to be the number 1 ranked in the technologically advanced countries. Implementation and improvement in the use of science and technology in the field of technology and innovation of the US can improve US ranking in the technological expertise.